Anti-Pattern Name: Throwing Out the Baby with the Bath Water
A new idea, technology or process comes along and everyone jumps on the bandwagon forgetting the fundamental principles developed previously.
Symptoms and Consequences:
- Lots of external and internal “marketware” describing the benefits of the new approach but often with very little substance behind them.
- People being encouraged to go on education, join working groups etc where the new approach is described.
- Skills in “legacy” technology become difficult to find as everyone is now trained in the new approach
- Ensure fundamentals are captured as principles and approaches in existing methods and processes.
- Reinforce through training and good governance.
- Take care when/how to adopt the new approach.
See Pattern #2