Anti-Pattern Name: Too Many Chiefs
A large project or program is top-heavy with architects. Lots of high-level pictures and documents get produced but no real specifications are created.
Symptoms and Consequences:
- The project has been running for several months and there is no clear plan.
- Lots of high-level documents not following any obvious templates or serving any useful purpose (e.g. “Functional Specification”) are created.
- No detailed specifications are in evidence (e.g. Component Models, Operational Models).
- Overuse of MS Office products rather than “real” architecture tools.
- Ensure all roles are well defined and have clear deliverables.
- Ensure all architects understand the process they are following.
- Ensure there is a clear plan with roles and deliverables assigned.
- Instigate use of professional tooling
See Pattern #3